Many of us have pet peeves, little nuisances that disturb our peace. I am an avid reader; below is a list of things that make me cringe when reading absolutely anything.
1. Wrong tenses.- he go yesterday doesn't work for me
2. No quotation marks around dialogue. Said George
3. Quick changes in point of views. Its a hassle to juggle between Tom, Suzie Q, and Johnny
4. Wrong grammar. - check your work quick
5. No plot line.- where are we going with this again?
6. Hurried plot lines- what's the rush?
7. Slow, really slow, plots- C'mon now, I've been waiting for them to do something the last 17 chapters. Make them do something.
8. Unrealistic characters- Keep this in mind: Nobody is a saint, got it, good.
9. Misguided history in historical fiction- Remember this, the Celts were the first blue man group.
10. Scenarios that never would exist in real life- hopefully. Seriously, a gang man won't hack NASA, to get blue print of a salt mine in Saudi Arabia to season his food.
11. Inconsequential actions. Seriously, if your character sets a house on fire and it burns through a neighborhood, the neighbors won't gather around and sing kumbaya songs.
I have done this, seen this, and read these. I know all this from experience. If you can, avoid this mistakes please do.
No comments:
Post a Comment